This role will support one of our Life Science clients. Experience with engineering and/or Life Science companies is preferred. As a member of the global Capital Sourcing team, the Contract & Claim Manager is sought to be responsible for the Contracts & Claims management of a variety of projects during the project execution phase, pre and post negotiations and contracting within large and medium green or brown field CAPEX projects (CAPEX project sizes/spend of min 5 XXX Mio CHF) with the aim of optimizing value-for-money, reducing contract risks, lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), on time/schedule, quality and in-cost project purchases to support the goal for the company’s growth investments.
This person is in position to mitigate risk related to the contract creation / execution, identify cost benefit solutions to complex, contractual matters (including regular delivery and close out of complex negotiations with external stakeholders and consultants
The individual must have the ability to operate and manage at the C-suite executive level of the project structure typically in a fast-track project environment.
- Project Procurement Execution Strategy
- Support the definition of the risk mitigation plan
- Participate in development of contracting strategies.
- Involve Cost Control Group and ensure the implementation of cost control system (e.g. progress measurement, re-measurement, bank guarantees, additional items, claims, cash flow and back-charges)
- Analyze the contract conditions and assist the project management in the preparation and conduction of the execution of those contracts
- Involvement with the review of new tenders and contracts with Strategic Supplier
- Support the negotiation of major contracts, subcontracts and own the final review and document preparation with Strategic Supplier
- Ensure relevant Procurement & SGIE process and standards are followed
Post Tender Award
- Lead the execution of contracts to secure company’s contractual rights and entitlements;
- Responsible to report contracting plan status and variations to the Project & Procurement on a periodic basis;
- Manage the contracting plan during project execution. Commissioning and evaluation stages, including the contractor’s cost in cooperation with Cost Control
- Prepare a summary of key contractual points (deviations from norms, identified risks, of concern to company) generated by a review such that they can be readily identified and addressed
- Negotiate and agree contract extensions & change request
- Coordinate activities such as change orders. delay management, conflict management, preparation for potential litigation / arbitration in terms of proper documentation, timely responses to the contractor as per contract;
- Monitor and safeguards the legal right as per the provisions of the contract
- Manage the warranty and performance guarantees of the project assets
- Ensuring all requirements of the company are met with respect to contract review
- Coordinating the involvement of legal counsel and/or client legal counsel in reviews as required
- Support in arbitration and in Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures project management as well
- Overseeing, managing, directing and supporting the project commercial teams to ensure optimization of project returns.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A higher commercial background equivalent to a Bachelor (BS/BA), preferably Master degree (MS/MBA) or equivalent and a good thorough technical understanding and knowledge
- Preferred area of study: Purchasing, Engineering or Legal, Quantity Surveying or Cost Consulting
- Minimum 10-15 years of relevant experience with major contractors in roles dealing with management of project change procedures, cost management, claims and variations, negotiation and settlement of disputes with owners and subcontractors.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing contract strategies that have yielded measurable business results
- Ability to work cross-functionally in project work and project management
- Has preferably overseen, sourced from or worked for EPCMV / EPC contractors
- Experience operating at a senior level on a major project or in a Commercial / Claims Manager role in a large construction company.
- Degree in Quantity Surveying, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in a regulated industry (i.e. pharmaceutical, food) nice to have
- Business and financial acumen and Contracting Strategy & Execution, Strategic Sourcing expertise, Procurement/Sourcing knowledge/experience for large CAPEX sourcing
- Strong negotiation skills; exceptional problem solving and analytical skills.
• Experience with commercial contracts and agreements
• Skills in all procurement processes including, supplier management, negotiations, contract management and e-procurement systems.
• Summary recommendation skills.
• Experience managing relationships, both internal and external.
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Ability to build business relationships and to work in multifunctional teams