AM Technical Solutions (AMTS) recently completed a high-tech design project for a leading University Research Facility renovation.
The project materialized when a researcher and facilities project manager from this Top 10 university contacted our company about the design of a specialized lab. The lab needed to be capable of high temperature processes and characterization that pushes the state-of-the-art in materials development.
The lab required specialized Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing systems and a robust building structure to mitigate EMI and vibration-sensitive characterization tools. The client came to AMTS based on our successful delivery of a design for their Nanofab Cleanroom and sensitive Electron Microscopy and characterization suite, including base build, fit out and tool installation design.
How the Design and Construction Project Was Executed
Our senior project architect, engineering manager, and the design team created a plan to incorporate the following critical elements into the lab:
- Room sizing and height
- Specialized casework and storage
- Specialty exhaust
- HVAC controls
- Cooling water skids and distribution
- EMI abatement
- Acoustical Noise and Vibration abatement
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Clean power
- Selective demo respecting adjacent labs
- Novel materials and chemistry
Additional critical elements of the researcher’s needs included life safety for hot materials and processes, optimized research work flow, and isolation of certain process tools. These steps were accommodated. We also focused on building in flexibility for future materials sets.
Our project work was subsequently reviewed by the university’s “Critical Systems” team. Their thorough review focused on ensuring compatibility with campus standards and included discussions of alternate ideas to support this particular research.
“We are proud to have built a superb working relationship with this university to complete multiple projects supporting critical research,” says Abbie Gregg, AMTS Chief Technology Officer. “I am exceptionally proud of our team for pulling together resources to ensure this project could be completed in support of the university’s overall objectives.”
For more than 25 years, AMTS has supported high-tech construction and design for leading research facilities and higher-education institutions across the country. We have the expertise, team, resources, and capabilities to meet each customer’s need on time, in budget, and of the highest quality.
– Find out more about our high-tech construction and design capabilities for higher education.
– View our Portfolio of completed projects to see how we deliver first time right for our customers through an end-to-end solution for high-tech construction projects.
– Contact us today to discuss your next project. We can help position your institution for critical research.