One of the most important tools in the AM toolbox is the FabTech© Utility Matrix. This software tool is a critical element of our Construction Management, enabling our strategy of focusing on delivering all three (Schedule, Budget, and Quality) for each customer.
We utilize the FabTech© Utility Matrix throughout each high-tech construction project, starting at the programming phase through turnover and operation. Specifically, we use this tool to support:
- Plan (Program, Design): architecture and engineering design and planning.
- Build: construction management to deliver first time right, and on schedule.
- Operate: maintaining the utility matrix for operating and planning through the life cycle of the facility.
FabTech© Utility Matrix for Pre-Construction
During the pre-construction design and planning phase, we create a plan that answers the key questions for the project. The main questions include:
- What are the project demands?
- What is the overall fab design?
- What is the size of the facility?
- What tools are available for the project work?
- What tools need to be procured for the project work?
From there, we create a custom project database in the Utility Matrix software that aggregates and diversifies all utilities. The information included in the database allows our project team to understand the specific needs and requirements to support the project work:
- Utility information for each tool and each area.
- List of tools in the facility.
- Specific requirements (electrical, exhaust capacity, drain needs, heat load, gases, and chemicals).
- Total requirements for the fab area and the overall project.
We sync up the information in the database with client inputs to ensure complete integrity of the data. We also rely on a user-friendly graphical interface to ensure complete understanding of the project needs and deliverables. This information management can correspond to CAD layouts, enable user-specified diversification factors, and provide heat load to create room for HVAC analysis -- among other features.
FabTech© Utility Matrix for Construction Management
Once the high-tech construction project is underway, we utilize the FabTech© Utility Matrix in our Construction Management process.
We are able to deliver on schedule, budget, and quality for all customers using these five key elements:
- FabTech© Utility Matrix platform
- Productivity tracking software
- Milestone status tracking software
- Lean tracking (pull plans and last planner)
- Workflow software to track design through commissioning
The Utility Matrix is part of our customized toolset that allows us to continually support our customers throughout the duration of the factory life-cycle.
Our teams are in constant communication -- using information in the Utility Matrix database as a guidepost -- to ensure that the project stays on track.
Work With AM to Support Your High-Tech Construction Project
Our company has built a proven approach that allows us to deliver on schedule, budget, and quality. AM customers do not have to settle for the “Pick 2” standard found elsewhere in the construction industry.
The FabTech© Utility Matrix is a key element of our solutions to support completion of each project. We would appreciate the opportunity to leverage the capabilities of the software for your next high-construction project. Contact us today to inquire about our project support.