AM Technical Solutions (AM) recently completed a two-year high-tech construction project to advance the research capabilities of a prestigious university on the East Coast.
The facility team at the university turned to our company after trying other design teams to meet the project requirements. We stepped in to support the renovation project by providing comprehensive high-tech construction services to help create an innovative research space on the campus.
The facility is now equipped with the latest technology, equipment, and tools to support advanced research and potential applications for usage in multiple industries.
Our Specific High-Tech Construction Services at the University
We were commissioned to provide specific services as part of the facility’s transition to a world-class university laboratory:
- Schematic and Design Development
- Construction Documents
- Permitting and Bidding support
- Tool Hook-up Design
- Construction Administration for all areas of the project.
The project involved a highly-complex equipment set that required specific expertise to support proper installation. This included sensitive tools and multiple heat-and-fume generating furnaces and hoods that required complex HVAC solutions to meet the needs of researchers. We also needed to satisfy all local codes and coordinate with the campus EHS department.
The project also had to fit a large number of tools and equipment and supporting infrastructure into a tight area on the second level of the facility. This required integration with the remaining labs and corridors that were remaining in place.
Our Team That Helped Solve Construction Challenges
The project required the support of numerous company leaders and subject matter experts to address each challenge during the project as we advanced toward completion.
Abbie Gregg, our Chief Technology Officer, was instrumental in providing leadership and expertise throughout the project. Ken Zabriskie, our Director of Architecture and Engineering Design, served as principal in charge. In addition to Abbie and Ken, the team consisted of the following employees and SMEs:
- Project Manager and Architect of Record
- Process Safety Engineer
- Engineering Manager
- Process Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer of Record
- Mechanical/Plumbing Engineer
- Mechanical EIT
- Electrical Engineer of Record
- Electrical Engineer
- BIM Coordinator
- Project Coordinator/Administration
Through teamwork and collaboration, our team was able to address each challenge during the project to reach the conclusion of the project scope.
– One of the primary challenges was increasing our provision of services to accommodate new space requirements. The project was originally intended to be roughly 1,500 SF. However, due to the client’s evolving facility and equipment requirements, the project size grew to 3,600 total SF and the project timeline was increased. Through our flexible approach, we were able to accommodate the change in project scope while still meeting timeline requirements.
– Another challenge was incorporating the design requirements for two very sensitive tools. This aspect required appropriate setbacks for certain building materials and persons working near these tools. We designed and sized the spaces and the infrastructure with these requirements in mind.
Additionally, a researcher required one of the sensitive tools to be installed earlier than the remainder of the renovations would be complete. Our team coordinated a two-phase project documentation approach that allowed part of the lab layout to be completed early to install the tool in working order. This allowed the researcher to utilize the tool with minimal hindrance while the additional lab renovations were completed.
– We coordinated a complete tool hook-up package following the base build design completion. This allowed all owner-furnished, contractor-installed, and contractor-furnished and installed tools to be provided in the lab and ready for start-up by the university’s research team by substantial completion.
“This was an extremely challenging project that tested our capabilities to coordinate with multiple parties, adapt to changing timelines and requests, and execute project delivery with a first-time-right mentality to achieve cost, time, and quality requirements,” says Sandeep Davé, Chief Business Officer.
“I am proud to report that we exceeded expectations and helped the client launch a renovated facility they can be proud of. We would like to thank our team for meeting the client’s spatial and equipment needs and overcoming many challenges to complete this exciting project.”
– Find out more about our capabilities to deliver high-tech construction projects for university facilities.
– View our portfolio of completed, award-winning high-tech construction projects.
– Need construction and design services for a university facility? Contact us today to discuss your project requirements.