AM Technical Solutions (AM) is driven to find new ways to utilize the latest technology to advance our capabilities in high-tech construction project delivery. One of the amazing new pieces of technology that we are utilizing is the HoloLens mixed reality (MR) headset.
We are currently utilizing HoloLens to perform QAQC validation in design-build projects for semiconductor facilities. Our goal is to validate the alignment between the design through virtual environments (e.g. BIM software) and actual existing conditions.
As pictured below, by utilizing HoloLens for accuracy and quality verifications, we can drive corrections prior to the fabrication of OSM (off-site manufacture) elements, which enables first-time-right installation. This creates tremendous value for our customers by introducing predictable costs, eliminating re-work, and ensuring that schedules align with the project timeline.
Specific Use of HoloLens Mixed Reality Technology
Using HoloLens to support first-time fabrication and installation helps our teams in a variety of ways. Consider the specific use of this technology to validate plans and ensure that the project can be accomplished according to requirements:
- Enables our team to perform constructability assessments in the virtual space against actual structure and existing utilities.
- Provides us with real-time visibility for early clash detection against actual conditions.
- Supports pre-installation collaboration by reviewing project plans with our customer.
- Triggers clear constraint identification to drive further review.
Using the information gathered in this exercise, we can proactively initiate changes and take corrective actions. For example, we can build a feedback loop with the 3D detailer to make corrections on the spool drawings prior to fabrication. This eliminates costly re-work by addressing critical issues upfront.
We can also use the technology to support collaboration with all stakeholders at the actual location where the installation will be performed. This way, everyone clearly understands the final destination of utilities and can see for themselves where these utilities will live in the actual space.
“Our team has already realized tremendous success using HoloLens to bring everyone together to visualize project plans, make adjustments, and give us a running start on the actual project delivery,” says Dan Codi, AM Chief Operations Officer. “We are looking forward to utilizing this technology on a regular basis to continue creating value for our customers.”
– Find out more about our advanced capabilities to deliver high-tech construction projects for our customers.
– View our portfolio of award-winning high-tech construction projects for semiconductor facilities.
– Interested in utilizing HoloLens mixed reality technology to support your semiconductor facility? Contact us today to discuss your next project requirements.