AM Technical Solutions (AM) recently completed a high-level audit of a client’s semiconductor facility in the U.S. We previously supported the client with a facility start-up assessment for one of their newer facilities
Because of the success with the facility start-up project, we were asked to step in to perform a review and assessment of this facility to improve reliability.
Delivering a Comprehensive Semiconductor Facility Audit
The facility audit covered approximately 400k SF of manufacturing and admin facility space. Due to the age of the facility, an assessment was needed to assure that it could operate reliably. Having gone through some industry downturns, the facility had not been sufficiently addressed.
As a result of these constraints, the facility had experienced issues that slowed down semi manufacturing and production. Prior to our company’s involvement, the client performed partial audits and reviews through third parties attempting to address issues. However, the issues remained unresolved.
Therefore, our team was commissioned to provide a comprehensive review of the facility to determine the best course of action to bring the facility up to speed with modern semi manufacturing requirements.
Our Project Scope Supporting Semiconductor Facility Upgrades
As part of our comprehensive review of the client’s facility, we provided the following services:
- Reviewed any existing facility documentation, including prior reports, audits, analyses related to the facility that were provided by the client prior to our team’s site visit.
- Conducted a 3-4 day on-site review of the facility assessing key areas of focus.
- Analyzed the on-site data that we collected during our walkthrough.
- Provided a facility inspection report similar to what we provided the client for their start-up facility.
- Provided supporting data on our team’s findings that could be communicated to company stakeholders.
To support the deliverables of the project work, we assembled a team of subject matter experts on fab facility operations and infrastructure, architecture, process engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. Specific to our company, we utilized the skills and expertise of these team members in the following areas:
- Project Manager and Architect with 20+ years experience with high tech facility design, including semiconductor fabs.
- Process Engineer and Safety Expert with 20+ years experience with process engineering, including safety-related to personnel and the handling of dangerous chemicals and gases utilized by semiconductor facilities.
- Two Mechanical Engineers, including one with expertise in HVAC and related piping systems.
- Electrical Engineer with expertise in ETAP software.
We completed the project in April, which consisted of delivering our comprehensive report on the current condition of the facility, including all supporting documents and data. The client reviewed the deliverables and stated the report content and quality “exceeded expectations” and “was of great value for understanding and communicating the state of the facility.”
In late April, our team presented the major findings from the report to the client’s Board of Directors. We are now awaiting further direction on starting the facility remediation and upgrades that we outlined in the report.
“We appreciated the opportunity to help our client take the appropriate measures to upgrade their facility,” says Matt Shipley, AM General Manager. “The team that we assembled collectively brought decades of relevant experience to the table from similar fab facilities and related operational concerns. We also appreciate the hard work of our team providing an exceptional report that was of great value to the client. We look forward to continuing to support the client on their journey to modernizing this semiconductor facility.”
– Find out more about our capabilities to deliver high-tech construction projects for semiconductor facilities.
– View our portfolio of completed, award-winning high-tech construction projects.
– Need support with a semiconductor facility review? Contact us today to discuss your project needs. We can assemble a team of experts to provide you with a comprehensive review and recommendations.